Redlands Conservancy believes historic buildings should have a positive economic impact on the community AND on the building owner. Since its beginning, the Conservancy has advocated adaptive reuse of old buildings to make them an economic driver. The Conservancy has helped to adaptively reuse five buildings outright, has recognized 12 for excellent adaptive reuse, and has promoted and encouraged adaptive reuse with City staff and property owners.
A tour of Redlands’ adaptively reused buildings shows Redlands’ residents and visitors – and prospective business owners – how much adaptive reuse has benefited the community. Add sustainability to the list of benefits from adaptive reuse – the most sustainable building is the one that’s already built – and it’s no wonder more and more businesses are looking to invest in historic buildings.
Watch for an Adaptive Reuse Tour map, coming soon!
ADAPTIVE REUSE AWARD WINNERS
1157 Orange Street, Redlands
Historic Glass Museum
Built as a private residence in 1903, this Victorian cottage was purchased by the Historical Glass Museum in Redlands in 1977. The Glass Museum opened its doors to the public in 1985, after nearly a decade of fundraising and renovation.
1741 Mentone Blvd, Mentone
Heska’s Sugar Shack
Built as a residence in 1933, it was used as a church and pre-school before being purchased by Heska King to use as a coffee house.
330 ORANGE STREET – ROMANO’S RESTAURANT
Formerly Carlson’s Hardware, among other uses.
402 WEST COLTON AVENUE – WIT WINDOWS AND DOORS
Formerly headquarters of Redlands’ Family Service Association, and a church.
215 EAST REDLANDS BLVD – HONDA-YAMAHA OF REDLANDS
Formerly the Packing House Antiques, and a packing house.
201 CAJON STREET – CUTLER INSURANCE
Formerly, Y-Alliance building, YWCA building, and a mortuary.
345 NORTH 5TH STREET – THE MITTEN BUILDING
Formerly, a plastic letter manufacturing facility, and a packing house.
21 WEST STUART AVENUE – STATISTICAL RESEARCH, INC.
Originally built as the Graham-Cope Commercial Building, it was also formerly Grigsby’s Nursery.
32 NEVADA STREET – BARTON HOUSE OFFICE BUILDING
Formerly a private residence, it was originally the home of San Bernardino Valley pioneer Dr. Benjamin Barton.
TERRACINA DRIVE – THE MOREY MANSION
A bed and breakfast at the time of the award, originally and currently a private residence.
530 WEST OLIVE AVENUE – OLIVE AVENUE MARKET
Having housed a variety of retail businesses, it was originally a Stater Brothers market.